Friday, March 5, 2010

First Line Challenge

Are you ready to get your creative juices flowing?

I'll give you the first sentence or two of a famous novel, and your job is to turn it into a paragraph that is totally unique, and totally you!

Authors and characters are all welcome to attempt this little exercise. Let's see how many different perspectives we can create. As a bonus, try to guess the book that's being quoted.

(Incidentally, the last opener was from Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys.)

Okay, are you ready? Here we go!

All our attempts at subterfuge had been in vain. With ice in my heart, I watched him prepare to defend me. His intense concentration betrayed no hint of doubt, though he was outnumbered...

4 comments:

Candy said...

by the hundreds of penguins which slowly advanced, step by webbed step, toward us. We had both dressed in black and white, hoping not to be noticed, but our ruse had failed and we were backed to the edge of our floe with nowhere to go but into the hungry sea. All those glittering, yellow eyes and sharp beaks drew ever closer, but my faithful border collie, hackles up and lips curled. knew only his job, to herd and drive these creatures back to where they had come from and I prayed he could do the job.

Laura Martone said...

Oh, Candy, that's wonderful! Never before have I so feared a penguin. :-)

Candy said...

I am sad that nobody else is contributing. It only takes a few minutes and is great for the creative juices. I miss all the old friends! Where are you?

Laura Martone said...

I'm sad, too, Candy, but what can you do?

Maybe I need to post a line from an erotic novel next Friday. Perhaps THAT would get the creative juices flowing.

Ooh, terrible pun.

P.S. And if Bo doesn't jump on that suggestion, I'm really at a loss. *wink*