Friday, October 29, 2010

First Line Challenge

Are you ready to get your creative juices flowing?

I'll give you the first sentence or passage of a famous novel, and your job is to turn it into a paragraph that is totally unique, and totally you!

Authors and characters are all welcome to attempt this little exercise. Let's see how many different perspectives we can create. As a bonus, try to guess the book that's being quoted.

(Incidentally, the last opener was from Wizard's First Rule, the first novel in Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth fantasy series. Congrats to Donna for guessing the correct series!)

Okay, are you ready? Here we go!

We slept in what had once been the gymnasium. The floor was of varnished wood, with stripes and circles painted on it, for the games that were formerly played there; the hoops for the basketball nets were still in place, though the nets were gone...

2 comments:

Candy said...

and as flashlights dimmed it seemed the years dropped away like artichoke leaves leading me back to the sweet center of my youth.
The crowd cheered as I slam dunked the ball for the third time this game. God it felt good, all of us strong, fleet and full of life! The smells of leather, wood, polish and sweat wrapped us in the comfort of familiarity and the pain of being rammed by an opponent's elbow proved I was in the thick of life and it was good.I laughed, and feinted and ran.
Distant gunfire made the leaves return. again secreting the kernel safely inside.
I saw the hoop above me, now lit by the moon shining through broken windows.They pushed me here in my wheelchair with others from the home. Said they were saving us from the enemy , but weren't we all the enemy? All of us who let schools decay and people hate each other instead of battle it out in sports and then applaud the other side?.
The cheers I once heard in that gymnasium may have faded into tears but the hoop and I remember.

Nutmeg Cross said...

Wow, Candy. You definitely have a dark side.