Friday, October 15, 2010

First Line Challenge

Are you ready to get your creative juices flowing?

I'll give you the first sentence or passage of a famous novel, and your job is to turn it into a paragraph that is totally unique, and totally you!

Authors and characters are all welcome to attempt this little exercise. Let's see how many different perspectives we can create. As a bonus, try to guess the book that's being quoted.

(Incidentally, the last opener was from Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.)

Okay, are you ready? Here we go!

This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it. How is such a thing possible? I'll do my best to explain...

7 comments:

Candy said...

I touch the leather binding and run my fingers over "his" name embossed in gold. I even bury my nose in yellowing pages and imagine I breathe in his scent. Others have lauded the phrasing and beauty of words, the sensitivity of the story - the sadness of its end. They call it a novel and regret that the author died before he could write more. But I know it is no fiction and that there was no more to write. And so I touch, and weep, but never read, for to do so would break my heart.

Laura Martone said...

Wow. That was beautiful, Candy. Truly beautiful. And such a wonderful departure from the actual novel.

Galadriel said...

I know what it's really from. Princess Bride! Man, I'd write up something, but I know I'd never be able to follow Candy up.

Laura Martone said...

Good going, Galadriel! You nailed it. This passage is most definitely the start of William Goldman's The Princess Bride.

Christine H said...

Oh my goodness! I should have known that one.

Laura Martone said...

No worries, Christine. Can't win 'em all! *wink*

Christine H said...

Laura, but you have no idea how obsessed I was with that movie when it came out! I saw it three times and I owned the book, which I read cover to cover numerous times as well.

I even quoted the Impressive Clergyman's speech at my best friend's wedding. "Mawwiage, what bwings us togewwer today..."