Friday, October 8, 2010

First Line Challenge

Are you ready to get your creative juices flowing?

I'll give you the first sentence or passage of a famous novel, and your job is to turn it into a paragraph that is totally unique, and totally you!

Authors and characters are all welcome to attempt this little exercise. Let's see how many different perspectives we can create. As a bonus, try to guess the book that's being quoted.

(Incidentally, the last opener was from The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve.)

Okay, are you ready? Here we go!

Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again. It seemed to me I stood by the iron gate leading to the drive, and for a while I could not enter, for the way was barred to me...

10 comments:

Candy said...

and when I awoke my face was wet with tears and the bars those of my prison cell.
But that dream resurrected hope, reminding me that there was another life, a life of my past, when the world was beautiful and I was in love.
I asked the guard for paper and pencil and, wonder of wonders, he brought me this thick, lined pad so now, through writing I will escape and live again those magical days in Manderlay.

Jesse Littleton said...

Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again. It seemed to me I stood by the iron gate leading to the drive, and for a while I could not enter, for the way was barred to me...

...but being part of a traveling troupe of acrobats has its advantages, and I was over the gate in no time. Of course, I hadn't counted on the guard dogs. Three snarling rottweilers, and me without a tempting steak to offer.

Christine H said...

I love this book! This is "Rebecca" by Daphne DuMaurier. I don't have time to do a paragraph this morning, though.

Laura Martone said...

You got it, Ms. Christine - good job! And, yes, this is one of my favorite books, too - the movie is also sufficiently atmospheric... and one of the few films where I can tolerate the pomposity of Sir Laurence Olivier.

Christine H said...

Oh, I love Olivier! He's so... so... 30's. Too smooth by half but that's what makes him irresistable. Like a pre-Cary Grant.

Laura Martone said...

I just find Olivier too scene-chewy at times, but I'll take Cary Grant any day of the week!

Jil said...

I once had a boyfriend who thought he was a Cary Grant. He copied his mannerisms and way of speaking. So ... I haven't been able to stand Cary Grant ever since!
I love Laurence Olivier though. And Rebecca.

Laura Martone said...

That's hilarious, Jil - especially since it's alleged that ol' Cary wasn't as interested in the ladies as his roles might have indicated!

Christine H said...

Well, I heard he played for both teams. ;-)

Laura Martone said...

Haha, Christine! Thanks for the clarification. ;-)