Friday, September 24, 2010

First Line Challenge

Are you ready to get your creative juices flowing?

I'll give you the first sentence or passage of a famous novel, and your job is to turn it into a paragraph that is totally unique, and totally you!

Authors and characters are all welcome to attempt this little exercise. Let's see how many different perspectives we can create. As a bonus, try to guess the book that's being quoted.

(Incidentally, the last opener was from Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.)

Okay, are you ready? Here we go!

The red sun balances on the highest ramparts of the mountains, and in its waning light, the foothills appear to be ablaze. A cool breeze blows down out of the sun and fans through the tall dry grass, which streams like waves of golden fire along the slopes toward the rich and shadowed valley...

1 comment:

Candy said...

I rein in my horse and look toward that corner of the world which will be my home from now until I die. I could leave, head back to the busy world from which I have run, but that would be the coward's way, and I may be many things but not that.
The sun is almost gone. A coyote howls. My horse rattles his bit asking for an end to his long day.
"Okay, old boy,let's go." And, wondering if there is anyone left there to meet me, we head on down toward the future which was once my past.