Friday, September 3, 2010

First Line Challenge

Are you ready to get your creative juices flowing?

I'll give you the first sentence or passage of a famous novel, and your job is to turn it into a paragraph that is totally unique, and totally you!

Authors and characters are all welcome to attempt this little exercise. Let's see how many different perspectives we can create. As a bonus, try to guess the book that's being quoted.

(Incidentally, the last opener was from Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.)

Okay, are you ready? Here we go!

I haven't laid eyes on the island in several years. The last time was from a friend's boat that ventured into the outer harbor, and I could see it off in the distance, past the inner ring, shrouded in the summer haze, a careless smudge of paint against the sky...

6 comments:

Candy said...

Must work. Island story later,

Nutmeg Cross said...

Ooh, work. I'm intrigued, Candy. Would this involve the boy on the farm? (If you can call that work...)

Candy said...

Now then, Nutmeg, that's under wraps at the
moment.(hmm, what'll you read into that?}
On to today's story.
Now I've forgotten what it was --- an island...

Candy said...

I am tempted to go back-often -but I know if I did I may never return to my husband and children.
You remember the tale of Ulysses? Well that is my story, only I was a girl and the man who captured me, body and soul, is still waiting. I know it because I see him in my dreams. His eyes, his passion, tempt me like drink to an alcoholic.
Nobody knew what happened to me during those two years. They thought me drowned when they found my little sailboat broken and adrift.

Twenty four months later, the coast guard discovered me while searching for someone else. They brought me back to the mainland and it was in the papers that I had survived all that time alone. A miracle! They looked but there was definitely no one else, the companion I spoke of must have been imagination only. .
I would go back. But they swore there was no sign of anyone else ever having been there.
What if I found they were right?

Marenya said...

I did not dwell upon the sight of it then, for boats make my insides uncomfortable. I was focused upon not feeding the fish my breakfast, and embarassing myself.

Laura Martone said...

No guesses for this novel? Here's a hint: it was recently made into a Leo movie.