Friday, September 10, 2010

First Line Challenge

Are you ready to get your creative juices flowing?

I'll give you the first sentence or passage of a famous novel, and your job is to turn it into a paragraph that is totally unique, and totally you!

Authors and characters are all welcome to attempt this little exercise. Let's see how many different perspectives we can create. As a bonus, try to guess the book that's being quoted.

(Incidentally, the last opener was from Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.)

Okay, are you ready? Here we go!

The hill people and the Mexicans arrived on the same day. It was a Wednesday, early in September 1952. The Cardinals were five games behind the Dodgers with three weeks to go, and the season looked hopeless. The cotton, however, was waist-high to my father, over my head, and he and my grandfather could be heard before supper whispering words that were seldom heard...

5 comments:

Candy said...

You see my Mother came from the hills and my father from Mexico.Both sides of the family had always hated each other and it had only grown worse since the day my parents ran away and married.Only Mother's father had stuck by us and we kids were terrified of what what was going to happen next when they all come together.
The first carload came in from the left. The other approached from the right. The one thing we knew was that each car was its owner's pride and joy. His most treasured posession.
"OK, light up!" shouted grandfather running to the right,
"Here goes!" yelled father, running left,
They each set fire to their side of the cotton and the flames spread, savagely and quickly, each in its own direction thanks to the windless heat and lay of the land.The flames were like a dog turned loose to sic someone.
And those cars, each of'em, turned on a dime and hightailed it out of there as fast as they could go. Dad slapped his thigh and chest bumped grandad and we kids ran around enjoying the excitement.Mom looked kinda upset.
I guess it was worth it, though we had pretty sparse eatings that winter and beans morning and night do get you thinking of something better, for sure.

Donna Hole said...

OMG; I can't write on this. I know the book and exactly what comes next. It is one of my favorite John Grisham's.

Oh, can I say the novel title, before everyone gets their entries in?

Well, no matter. I finally guessed one. Whoo hooo for me :)

Candy, that was a delightful read. You captured the sentiment.

........dhole

Laura Martone said...

Yeah, Donna, it's indeed a good Grisham. Thanks for guessing the author! Now, go ahead, name the title... it's highly probable that no more entries are coming in anyway.

Donna Hole said...

Goody goody for me:

A PAINTED HOUSE. A beautiful novel, well worth a second or third read. I may have to find the time to indulge.

Thanks for reminding me of a great novel Laura.

........dhole

Laura Martone said...

No problem, Donna! That's the fun of doing these First Line Challenges... it reminds me of all the wonderful novels in the world. Too many to read in one lifetime - that's for sure!