Friday, July 2, 2010

First Line Challenge

Are you ready to get your creative juices flowing?

I'll give you the first sentence or passage of a famous novel, and your job is to turn it into a paragraph that is totally unique, and totally you!

Authors and characters are all welcome to attempt this little exercise. Let's see how many different perspectives we can create. As a bonus, try to guess the book that's being quoted – it's one of my favorites!

(Incidentally, the last opener was from Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.)

Okay, are you ready? Here we go!

Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it tragically...

3 comments:

Jil said...

What happened? This morning when I read it (but had no time to write) there was a long paragraph, so while I did my Zumba and pilate I thought about what to write. Something about the apocalypse I think. Oh well ...

Candy said...

Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it tragically,which is our way of survival. In this culture we make jokes and laugh through dark days lest we forget to smile and step into the next happier time unprepared and with hearts like shriveled raisins.

Laura Martone said...

Hi, Jil! Oops, sorry for confusing you.

It's just that, when I checked in this afternoon, after the passage had been up for eight hours or so, no one had yet contributed. So, frankly, I figured it was too limiting a passage, as long as it was... which is why I shortened it.

Now that I give it some more thought, it could just be the holiday weekend that's the trouble. Darn revelers! ;-)