Friday, July 23, 2010

First Line Challenge

Are you ready to get your creative juices flowing?

I'll give you the first sentence or passage of a famous novel, and your job is to turn it into a paragraph that is totally unique, and totally you!

Authors and characters are all welcome to attempt this little exercise. Let's see how many different perspectives we can create. As a bonus, try to guess the book that's being quoted.

(Incidentally, the last opener was from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Good job, Christine, for guessing it correctly!)

Okay, are you ready? Here we go!

You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy...

3 comments:

Jesse Littleton said...

You better not tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy...

...that's what my pappy said to me when I stole that candy bar from Old Mr. Nelson's general store. I knew he was right about my mammy. It woulda killed her for sure, to know her boy was a thief. But I wasn't as certain 'bout the God part.

Still, I thought it best not to mention that I didn't believe in God. Pappy was already mad enough.

candy said...

Y'see a man's last words are 'sposed to be for or about the one he loves most and your ma figures, for sure, she was the one. But that name your pa screamed as the train wheels split him in two, sure warn't hers.and, as I say, we want to keep her around. So hush yourself young'un. This is a time when lyin' is for sure the right thing to do and God'll tell you the same,that is if He's lovin' like they say He is.

Elaine AM Smith said...

You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy...
mostly with the shame of being responsible for finally throttling the life out of you. Not every mother is fortunate enough to have given birth to a slimy toerag like you. The least you could do is get your life back on the straight and narrow, so your mammy doesn't have to do something as desperate as to do away with you.