Friday, April 2, 2010

First Line Challenge

Are you ready to get your creative juices flowing?

I'll give you the first sentence or passage of a famous novel, and your job is to turn it into a paragraph that is totally unique, and totally you!

Authors and characters are all welcome to attempt this little exercise. Let's see how many different perspectives we can create. As a bonus, try to guess the book that's being quoted.

(Incidentally, the last opener was from The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.)

Okay, are you ready? Here we go!

”I see...” said the vampire thoughtfully, and slowly he walked across the room towards the window. For a long time he stood there against the dim light from Divisadero Street and the passing beams of traffic...

6 comments:

Candy said...

Gastalt was hungry, in fact his fangs were watering,but the only meals he saw were safely encased, like canned goods in a supermarket, in cars and taxis. He would have to go farther, perhaps the theatre district. The shows should be disgorging soon,. But what a bore on an empty stomach when he had hoped for quick and easy take out.

Elaine AM Smith said...

”I see...” said the vampire thoughtfully, and slowly he walked across the room towards the window. For a long time he stood there against the dim light from Divisadero Street and the passing beams of traffic...

I fought to control the dischordant music of erratic heartbeat and gasps as air passed to my oxygen starved lungs and thundered around my body. Sweat seeped from every pore to stain the polyester dress I cursed now. The vampire at the window moved his lean body in response to my wild beat.
When I'd begged he had smiled. When I'd cried he'd licked his lips. So, why now the table was scattered with the photographs I'd thrown in his face, was this was the moment he had turned to walk away? Something in smooth matt finish of one of these images held the key, had struck the right chord, made him pause before he'd turned to the window: father, mother, husband, son they overlapped the stained wooden surface creating the thinnest of unlikely shields.

Nutmeg Cross said...

Wow. I thought surely Vic would have something to say about this one. I love that novel!

Aidan said...

You guys are really good. I can't even write an email worth reading, according to Kaelin.

Kaelin said...

You just tend to ramble.

Blake said...

I`m a vampire that has been in a dark lonely room for 80 years . I walk slowly across the room towards the window.For a long time i stood there against the dim light from Divisadero Streetand the passing beams of the traffic were the brightest thing ever.It was a saver that i was wearing my black vimpire bracelet that protected me from the light! I felt so lonely and empty that the trafic lights are my bestfriends.
-Marcela N R6