Friday, April 16, 2010

First Line Challenge

Are you ready to get your creative juices flowing?

I'll give you the first sentence or passage of a famous novel, and your job is to turn it into a paragraph that is totally unique, and totally you!

Authors and characters are all welcome to attempt this little exercise. Let's see how many different perspectives we can create. As a bonus, try to guess the book that's being quoted.

(Incidentally, the last opener was from It by Stephen King.)

Okay, are you ready? Here we go!

If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth...

6 comments:

Candy said...

Instead I'm going to tell you how it should have been = all caring and sweetness - but no- what a drag that would be. I'll keep that to myself and instead start from now, when i stand on the very edge of real life, ready to leap in with both of my combat booted feet. Look out world, and girls, here I come!

Is this from "Catcher in the Rye"?

Aidan said...

Actually, that opening fits my new story pretty well.

Laura Martone said...

Yes, Candy. You got it!

Christine H said...

The truth is, I was never born. I was created. My parents aren't my parents in the normal sense. They are scientists, and I am their version of Frankenstein. Only you can't see stitches and all that stuff. I look pretty normal, really. Except for my eyes. They never could manage to duplicate the functional iris of a human, so mine look shiny, like a kind of blue metal. Everything else, though, is pretty impossible to tell from the real thing.

Laura Martone said...

Cool, Christine. Sometimes, I wouldn't mind having eyes like that... course, I'd probably freak my cat out.

Donna Hole said...

. . very boring. And my life now is anything but boring; what with learning to fly, staying hidden from the Maragots, and finding a new place to perch every night where nobody can get to me.

I prefer to nest in the trees of the park, but I'm too exposed to the night patrol - not to mention the gangs - and the limbs are just a bit too small to be comfortable. So I wake every morning with pigeon poop on me. The birds must think I'm a Gargoyle.

I don't think I'm that ugly, but pigeons are stupid creatures. Rats with wings. But I digress.

You want to know how I came by my wings, don't ya? So go on, kick off your shoes, get comfy. Need a drink? I do.

Now, where to start? Oh yes. .

.......dhole