Friday, May 7, 2010

First Line Challenge

Are you ready to get your creative juices flowing?

I'll give you the first sentence or passage of a famous novel, and your job is to turn it into a paragraph that is totally unique, and totally you!

Authors and characters are all welcome to attempt this little exercise. Let's see how many different perspectives we can create. As a bonus, try to guess the book that's being quoted.

(Incidentally, the last opener was from Watership Down by Richard Adams.)

Okay, are you ready? Here we go!

Novalee Nation, seventeen, seven months pregnant, thirty-seven pounds overweight – and superstitious about sevens – shifted uncomfortably in the seat of the old Plymouth and ran her hands down the curve of her belly. For most people, sevens were lucky...

7 comments:

Christine H said...

... ugh, I can't think of anything to write. Sorry.

Is the semester over yet?

Laura Martone said...

You'd know better than I, Christine - my only child is a furry feline named Ruby - and she doesn't go to school... yet. :-)

Christine H said...

I was wearing my "mommy necklace" of mismatched beads today, which my son made for me in Kindergarten. One of the secretaries at the college saw me with it, and we started talking about Mother's Day. She asked if being Mom to her cat counted.

I said, "Absolutely!" She had a photo of her cat, a gorgeous Russian blue.

I miss having cats! Hug Ruby for me!

My semester ends next Wednesday. But my son's school isn't over for another six weeks.

Candy said...

but for her sevens caused nothing but trouble. Wasn't it the seventh guy she had had sex with, on the seventh hour of their seventh date that had caught her? Had made her huge with this child who insisted on thriving however much she willed it to disappear. He was kicking now, like a tiny mule. Tough little devil. Had to admire his spunk. By the time he was seven he'd be the boss of the schoolyard, top of his class, best looking kid of wherever they were. The two of them would show the world. Yeah, they sure would! Hey,maybe seven would prove her lucky number after all. "Hey, little Seven, you OK in there?"Novalee patted her stomach, and grinned, before taking the last beer off the dashboard and swigging it down.

Candy said...

Sorry about the double post. Can someone please tell me how to delete one of them?

Christine H said...

Candy, if you log in under an account you can delete your own posts. I will do it for you, though.

Nice job with that, by the way!

Laura Martone said...

Yes, nice job indeed, Candy!

Oh, and Christine, I will happily hug Ruby for you... naughty as she's been today. ;-)