Sunday, March 27, 2011

Story Thread: Aidan and Marenya

From Christine:
Betsy and I are trying an experiment we call "Improvisational Fiction." The interplay between our fantasy worlds and characters has been such a rich mine of material for us the past week, we decided to try pushing it a little farther and see what happens. 

This is spontaneous; we don't know what is going to happen. We welcome other characters to jump in if they wish. We appreciate your forbearance, and your feedback.
 
From Betsy:
We're starting story threads so we don't continue to hijack the regular discussions. In future, we'd love to launch new stories for other characters and authors to play with. You need only email one of us and we'll set up a new thread.

We want to encourage other characters and writers to read and participate. Feel free to jump in at any time as an antagonist, someone needing help, an innocent bystander, or simply an observer with comments. Everyone is welcome.

A brief summary of our story so far:
After months of shameless flirting here at CIC, the demidemon Aidan decided to get a little more serious with Marenya, a respectable hanorja. This prompted Faldur, Marenya's actual love interest, to make his claim on her and approach her uncle about a period of formal courtship. When her uncle refused, Faldur left on a mission, furious. Marenya left, too, seeking some time away from everyone. But Aidan sensed she was in danger and crossed into her world. He saved her life and finally admitted how heartbroken he was over losing her. She agreed to let Aidan speak to her Uncle, who reluctantly approved the match. Unfortunately, when Aidan crossed into her world, he discovered evidence his enemy, the demon Asmodai, has a presence there. He wants to approach the king about making a formal alliance against this shared enemy.

998 comments:

«Oldest   ‹Older   801 – 998 of 998
Marenya said...

Good. Now teach me to fight.

Aidan said...

But love, our night isn't finished. (pulls her down)

At first light, though (gives her a wicked smile) I'll make you regret you ever asked me to teach you...

Marenya said...

Oh good, do I get to kick your butt then?

Aidan said...

(smile broadens and he lets out a ringing laugh) Actually, no. I've got something else in mind first.

Aidan said...

A surprise. But love before war, yeah?

Marenya said...

(returns the wicked smile)

Show me, Hotblood.

(presses her hands on his shoulders, down his back and...)

Aidan said...

(rolls her over and growls low) of course, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between love and war

Marenya said...

(touches his cheek, at the same time flicking a dart from her fingers that leaves one thin, tiny scratch before embedding in the bedpost)

Aidan said...

(laughs again but his arms tighten on her, betraying his strength) you are already trying to start a fight, brat. Nice try. First light I said, and not a second before.

Faldur said...

(the fatigue presses behind his eyes and in his painful shoulders where the haggith dug into them as he gazes over the plain towards the King's Crescent and Tor Aden on its central hill.

The shadows of the clouds scud across the plain like his thoughts.)

Marenya. I want to see Marenya.

Melbrinor said...

(stops practising quick sword movements with the warfiren, and straightens)

Enough for now.

(strides quickly inside and finds Pelwyn)

Warn them. He is coming.

Jason said...

Your highness?

Mel said...

The rangers and warfirien have returned. And Faldur.

Prepare him, Jason.

Jason said...

Sorry to interrupt. Sleep eludes me early today.

Marenya said...

(starts to sit up, sees Jason, and shrinks back down under the coverlet)

What are you talking about?

Good morning, Jason.

Marc said...

It's his burden, your highness, and hers.

But Aidan (smiles) has a way about him, yeah?

Besides, we spoke yesterday and he has a bit of a surprise planned for his wife. Something that may ease that road. (his smile darkens). No worries. The lad thinks he has it all in hand, as usual.

See to your friend, your highness.

Marenya said...

you know, Aidan, I thought Hanorja had no privacy, but you three...

Melbrinor said...

(resists rolling his eyes, but just barely) I cannot wait to find out what it is.

(brushes past him)

Aidan said...

It's Faldur, love. He's back.

And it's first light. Time to fight.

(leaves the room, Jason in tow)

Aidan said...

(strides the corridor toward Prince Raynor's quarters, opens the door without knocking. brightly)

Heyya, Raynor. Recovered from my wife's little thorns yet?

Marenya said...

Ferkin! Aidan, wait.

(scrambles to dress, gulps down some water and crams a roll into her mouth)

Can't you even wait until after BREAKFAST? We haven't eaten since yesterday lunch! You're so... so... (stomps her foot) UNCIVILIZED.

Aidan said...

Go on out to the courtyard, Jay. I got this.

COME ON, RAYNOR! UP!

Marenya said...

AND YOU'RE STILL NAKED!

Faldur said...

(they enter the gates and pass through the just-stirring city. Normally Rangers would be taunted by the soldiers and warfirien for being nothing more than border dogs, but no one dared say a word to this company of grim faces and bowed shoulders)

Raynor said...

Bloody Hell, Aidan? What is it?

scowls
"Wife"

Raynor said...

(rolls over and looks at him, then bursts out laughing) I think you forgot something, Lord Seer.

Aidan said...

I'm a demon, Raynor. I could give a shit.

You (pokes Raynor in the chest) and I have unfinished business. I know it's embarrassing getting your ass kicked by a girl, but that's no reason to pout. I need you up (pokes him again) and fighting.

Oh. Unless you're scared I'll ruffle your big brother's feathers.

Raynor said...

(rolls out of bed, lands on his feet and shoves Aidan back) I made that hawin what she is, so if she wants to "kick my ass", she can "kick my ass."

(slow smile, eyes him up and down with a smirk) Any time she wants to.

Aidan said...

(lightning quick, strikes out, catches Raynor on the jaw) Watch it, big bird. That's my wife you're talking about.

Raynor said...

(gathers himself and charges Aidan, slamming him into the wardrobe . the wood cracks from top to bottom from force of the blow)

That felt really good.

Aidan said...

oh, yeah, how's this feel?

(shaking off the blow, Aidan scrambles on top of Raynor, getting shots in, pounding away wherever he can make contact in a mad scramble. no finesse or neatness, just fists into flesh)

Jason said...

She down here yet?

Marc said...

Bloody hell, she's a female, isn't she? Probably stopped to comb her hair first.

(leans in the doorway, watching the fight, legs crossed, grinning)

Raynor said...

(coils under Aidan's raining blows, gathers his magic, and throws Aidan off him with a quick burst. As quick, he's on top of Aidan, giving as good as he got, slamming his fist into Aidan's midsection with much more finesse and blocking Aidan's attempts at defending himself)

Jason said...

(half-grimaces/half-grins with a cringe at a ringing blow, calls out to Aidan)

Not looking good, mate. Help yet?

Aidan said...

NO! I got it. You just (slam) enjoy yourselves, bastards

Marenya said...

(calmly) Hello Marc, Jay.

Picked your "fucking battle," did you, Aidan?

You can knock it off now, both of you. I'm not that stupid.

(glares at both of them, then realizes this is serious)

Marc and Jason said...

(flanking her and grabbing her arms)

Marc said...

Not so fast with those darts, cousin. Hang on...

Aidan said...

(blood starts to slick his skin, spouts from his nose. The world starts to slip slightly...)

Jason said...

(talking quick and low in Marenya's ear)

This is what it is, seeing him fight. You need to watch him lose. You need to see his blood. Watch him get hurt. Think about it. Don't react.

Watch.
Think.

Aidan said...

(fighting less and less, body twitching and jolting from each blow)

Marc said...

We spend our lives protecting him, but he has to lead. He is Lord Seer. We must let him lead. Even when it means he risks everything.

Marenya said...

(watches, fighting down the bile in her throat, as horrified by Raynor's anger as she is by Aidan's pain)

(she tries to get out of Jason and Marc's grip)

Jason said...

Easy. Raynor will stop in a moment. Aidan's nearly there...

(glances at her with a grin) Or we'll let you stop him after all.

Marenya said...

(the curse starts rising in her gut, her face is set, her eyes intense.)

Raynor said...

(snarls to Marenya) Do it!

Marenya said...

(She gives in to the anger, and lets it explode, throwing Marc and Jason off her, and throwing herself bodily at Raynor, casting a storm of darts at him. He raises his arm and takes them, grinning madly)

(He grabs her by the hair and whips her head back, snapping her flat to the floor)

Marenya said...

(she claws and kicks as he pins her, grinning, bleeding, stretching his body on top of hers. Then he sends the lighting into her)

(she feels it explode, as if every bone has been splintered, every muscle fiber frayed, that pain that takes her out of her body to another place where only it and she exist.

(she remembers. she welcomes it. the only way to beat it is to welcome it)

(she gathers it and hurls it back at him, coming down into herself again)

Aidan said...

(bleary) not your fight, love (stirs, clumsily)

(slurring and spitting blood) She held out longer than I thought.

Raynor said...

Is that what you wanted, Aidan?

(rolls over and passes out)

Jason said...

(his cousins haul Aidan roughly to his feet)

Shake it off.

Aidan said...

(staggers to Marenya and pulls her close, hugs her and rocks her)

I didn't stain my clothes this time.

Marenya said...

(panting, trying to focus)

Marenya said...

(grits her teeth) I wanted to kick YOUR butt, not HIS.

Aidan said...

I know. I'm an asshole. But you needed it. (grins through the blood) besides, I said there'd be a fight at first light. I didn't say with who.

Marenya said...

DAMMIT, Aidan! (pounds her fists on his chest, wrenches away)

(bends over Raynor, placing her hand on his forehead and seeking him)

Raynor

Aidan said...

(wipes the blood from his face on a wet towel. It's badly bruised, one eye swelling)

Raynor said...

go with him.

I just need to..

.

Marenya said...

(brushes past Aidan, ignoring him)

Aidan said...

Stop spoiling him. Seven hells, Marenya! What he did...it's over. He is the way he is. And he's never going to deal with it unless you let him.

Besides, he's going to wake up very happy. He actually did kick my ass.

Marc said...

Well that went swimmingly, mate. You're a right mess and your new wife has murder in her eyes when she looks at you.

Aidan said...

(pushes past his cousins and chases her down, grabs her arm) Marenya. Stop.

Marenya said...

I'm not babying him. I'm checking him. It would be a good think NOT to kill or permanently injure our own side, don't you BLOODY WELL THINK?

Aidan said...

(smiles, he can't help it)
Yeah. I do think.

Aidan said...

But hurting... that's another matter.

Aidan said...

Besides, he did me a favor. don't you think my getting my ass kicked first thing this morning might be just a teensy bit gratifying to Faldur?

Marc said...

Mate, you forgot your boots.

(holds them out)

Aidan said...

(drops to the floor to put them on, looks up at Marenya with his eyes wide--the one that isn't swollen shut, that is)

It's your turn next, love.

Aidan said...

And you're sexy when you're angry. Of course, you're sexy all the time, but especially now

Marenya said...

(her breath catches as she looks at him - battered, bleeding. fights down the urge to touch him. heal him.)

(thinks of Kaelin)

(narrows her eyes)

Aidan said...

(gets to his feet)

I have to go out there and talk to them. Give us a few minutes, okay, before you come out? I think... (his gaze drops) I just think it should be just me first.

Aidan said...

(touches her wrist where the bracelet binds her to him and walks on, his cousins trailing at a distance)

Marenya said...

(watches him go, then collapses to the floor, shuddering, as soon as he is gone)

I need more! I need more. (clenches her fists, feeling drained)

I can't do this.

Marenya said...

(remembers Kaelin again, and imagines him somewhere looking worse than Aidan. He is the other half of Aidan.

The broken half.

she stands up.)

Mel said...

(sees Raynor, goes to him, checks him, whirls around to Marenya)
Aidan did this?

Marenya said...

(shakes her head, lips pressed together)

What is happening to me? What is happening to us?

(Mel gathers her into a brotherly embrace)

I am not like him. I am not that strong. How do I do it? Teach me.

Melbrinor said...

(looks at her intently) Learn to use it the way you use your will. It is part of your will, just as when you go deep, or come back, or do any other thing.

(casts an orb, and instantly extinguishes it)

(Marenya does the same.)

You must think, watch. Don't feel unless it serves you to do so. Watch your opponent, read the clues. Be alert to everything.

(brings his hand suddenly up to grab her and while still watching his face, she flicks a dart at his hand)

(He catches it, and smiles)

Good. And just use the least effort that you need, so as not to tire yourself.

(they practice some more)

Aidan said...

Prince Melbrinor. Thank you.

Mel said...

I must go to Faldur and the men.
Don't feel unless it serves you, Marenya! It does not serve you now.

(More gently) That is who Faldur is, how he lives. He does not feel anything unless it serves him. It is the way I live, and every warrior.

Discipline, control, skill. You must develop these. Aidan will help you. But that he is not just your lord now, but your husband. You must honor him, Renya. Even when it is difficult.

I know that you know this. (puts his hand on her shoulder) (nods his head and she nods back)

(leaves)

Aidan said...

Marenya?

Marenya said...

(takes a deep breath)
I'm coming.

Aidan said...

Not yet, all right? I'm glad Mel could help you where I couldn't.

I.

I love you.

Marenya said...

I know.

Aidan said...

Prince Melbrinor. (offers his hand) Thanks again. In person.

(his face is still swollen, bruises lace his arms and middle-section. he moves stiffly.)

Aidan said...

(searces the prince's face) She wouldn't have taken what you said from me. I'm not of her people. I don't have magic.

Melbrinor said...

(looks him over carefully, without flinching)

Yes, Aidan. She would have, if you had taken the time to say it.

And, you're welcome.

You cannot force her to be like you. She is like herself only. As are all of us. We are a careful people, and a thoughtful one. We act when we are sure.

You must know the folly of acting rashly, eh? I did not attack the demon you found because I did not know what it was nor how to kill it. There have been sleeping presences, both good and evil, in this land before. We were hunting haggiths and found more than we bargained for.

You saved us. I am grateful, and I believe your presence here is meant. But you cannot work with us until you understand us. This place, this castle, is a refuge for those already battered by war. You bring war into the heart of it.

Marenya is a healer. All of our people are to some degree, but her mother was particularly skilled, and taught her from childhood how to use her ordinary abilities and herbs and common sense to help those around her.

It is a very difficult thing to go from that, to what you are asking her to do, all in a moment. And yes! I know it is urgent. But still, she has gone through so much you don't know about, and it is still very raw in her.

Bend her, Aidan, but do not break her. You have already broken Faldur, and he is dearer than a brother to me.

Mel said...

(corner of his mouth twitches) speechless, for once, I see.

I must go.

(hurries to where the soldiers and Rangers are dismounting and unpacking their supplies. greets each of the hamen personally and inspects their injuries if any. only when all have been tended to, does he at last turn to Faldur, who is sitting by himself where he can look out over the morning landscape.)

Faldur said...

(For once, Faldur is not even smoking, but turning the pipe Marenya's father gave him absently in his hands.)

(still looking at the landscape)

How is she?

Mel said...

As well as can be expected.

Faldur said...

(blinks back tears, wipes them away with his hand. mouth twists in anguish.) I-.

(walks quickly, head bowed, to a quiet alcove. Leans against the wall and buckles with grief, sliding down the wall, sobbing silently)

(Mel does not try to ease him, but just stands there, screening him from the view of any passersby, fighting his own emotions)

I had her. I could have-. (bends over in another paroxysm of grief)

(looks up at Mel, a world of hurt in his eyes) It wasn't meant to be. All that time I could have... loved her. And I didn't.

I didn't.

Mel said...

(quietly) They are married.

(grabs Faldur and restrains him as he thrashes against the wall)

It is done. Leave it! Leave it.

grabs him in a bear hug and cries himself) I am sorry for it, so sorry for it!

Mel said...

She still needs you. She needs to learn how to use a sword and a bow. He is teaching her to fight.

Faldur said...

(Closes his eyes, composes himself, wipes his face on his sleeve.)

Very well then.

Mel said...

Yes. (glances away)

Faldur? He truly loves her. In his way. And she him.

Faldur said...

(takes a ragged breath) I know. I have seen them together before.

It's just... (takes another breath, looks Mel in the eye)... I thought he was my friend.

(walks abruptly away)

Aidan said...

(stands staring at nothing for a time, absorbing Faldur's raw grief) (his voice is husky, broken)

Did.

Did I ,
Make a mistake, Jay?

Jason said...

(equally as soft) This morning or the other?

Aidan said...

(casts him a wounded look)

Jason said...

(touches his shoulder)

This morning? I think you didn't think it through. When do you ever? But she saw what you meant for her to see, what she will have to endure, being with you. (a wry smile) I think the prince rather missed your point in that, but it wasn't meant for him at any rate.

As for the other... Marriage isn't easy on any of us. Our kinds are different. But. (searches his cousins profile) but you are better for her. And for that I am grateful you folowed your impulsive heart here. You have a chance at survival now.

Aidan said...

She told me...she said we're bound after we die, now that we're married. She thinks she can take us to her afterlife, not... I wouldn't have...(he can't finish the thought. Twists the marriage bracelet on his arm).

Jason said...

(very softly). I see.

She is stronger than you are giving her credit for, Aidan. Than any of us have thought her, because she chose you. I can only advise that you don't underestimate your wife again.

Look. Marc is fetching your bow, and he found you some arrows that might do Why don't you go to their range and practice. I'll find her for you and send her. Train her on the bow. Leave the magic to the people who have it.

Jason said...

(hurrying to the castle after shoving his cousin toward the range, remembering his own young marriage. Finds Marenya, standing alone)

Marenya? Dear little cousin, i'm sorry. He treated you roughly this morning and I took part. We misjudged you, and I'm sorry.

(lowers his voice) But not as sorry as your husband is.

Jason said...

(sly smile) He's at his most vulnerable when he's contrite. Now likely would be an excellent time to give him some fight training. Catch him off guard, as it were.

Alas, I'm due at a strategy meeting with Lord Tarnbel. (kisses her cheek and leaves)

Aidan said...

(Aidan, alone on the archery range. The new sun lights his hair like a banner and shadows his tanned skin into bronze. He shoots 30 arrows in quick succession, strides to retrieve them from the target, and starts again. The string snaps against his armguard like the ticking of a clock, marking his rare time alone. The presence of evil in the land buzzes between his temples, causing a dull ache. His shoulder burns, but not as strongly as Faldur's sadness burns in his heart.

He casts his ken for Raynor, feels his particular mix of pain and fury, and today, just a bit of satisfaction. And finally, unable to help himself, he casts for his brother. He shies slightly and two arrows fly astray. The next skips off the outer ring of the target. But three arrows later, every shot is back on center.)

Marenya said...

(stares after Jason, then goes to find Aidan)

(drops to her knees, head bowed, a few feet away)

My Lord, my husband. Forgive me.

Aidan said...

(turns, stares down at her)

You never take a knee to me. Ever.

(turns and lets 3 arrows fly in quick succession, spins back to her and kneels right in front of her.). Marenya, love. (closes his eyes) I'm sorry.

Marenya said...

(looks at him pleadingly, won't let herself touch him yet)

I must kneel, Aidan. You are my lord, you are my husband.

I- (throat catches) I know now what you were trying to do. I couldn't see it at the time. I couldn't (swallows)...

I panicked when Marc and Jay grabbed me. Everyone is always grabbing me.

(lets him see what she means, flashes back for him)

(the memory of the white pain skitters through her)

(fighting very hard not to cry)
They think just because I'm a hawin, because I'm small--

(lifts up her fists) Do you wonder why the magic manifested itself this way? I don't.

Aidan said...

Why, love?

Marenya said...

(whispers) because I feel so powerless

Laura Martone said...

(Wow. I've never seen so many "comments" for one CIC post before. Sheesh.)

Aidan said...

You're not! You have every power over me. (gives a ragged laugh) and half the men here. You are my heart, and you couldn't be that unless you're stronger than me.

Marenya said...

(swallows) I'm not, Aidan. You are... are...a demon.

You're made for this.

(screws up her fists)

And you aren't supposed to say you're sorry.

Aidan said...

Either are you.

Marenya said...

I didn't. I said, "Forgive me, my lord."

I didn't say I was sorry. (small smile)

Aidan said...

(matches her smile) I'm a demon. It's not in my nature to forgive.

So what are you going to do about it?

Aidan said...

will you beat some sense into me? or maybe something more fun...

Marenya said...

Whichever you prefer, my lord.

But one thing first... (tucks her hair behind her ear, touches his wrist) About the joining. I meant to tell you, I was planning to. But everything happened so quickly, I forgot.

But I wouldn't do anything you didn't consent to. You agreed to it, remember? The King asked you and you said "Yes."

You agreed.

Aidan said...

I did. (his expression tightens and then grows fierce)

I will make you happy, Marenya. I swear it. In this life and after.

Marenya said...

(narrows her eyes) Don't try to make me happy, Aidan. You try too hard at everything. You're killing yourself. And me.

You just have to be with me. Like you said I'm with you.

Just be--. Just be.

(holds him very close, starts drawing off the pain from him, easing the swelling and the bruises, breathing carefully as it dissolves from her)

Aidan, my love...

(shudders, clears her aura)
(begins kissing him passionately)

Aidan said...

(nips at her neck lightly) Last night went too fast. But no one would miss us if we go back to our room, would they?

Marenya said...

Seven Hells! I think they'd be glad if we disappeared for a while.

Marenya said...

But you're going to need a bath, first, boy. You are filthy.

I'll be glad to take care of that for you.

Aidan said...

(grins) I might actually start liking to take baths, then. You're better than Jason.

Marenya said...

I certainly hope so. (pulls him to his feet)

I want you clean NOW! (Looks at herself.) I hope you can afford to buy me new clothes every day, because I'm going to need them.

No! (puts her finger on his lips) Don't say it. Just come.

(sexy smile)

Jason said...

(to Marc, leaning against the railing of the balcony)

All patched up, then?

Marc said...

Hmm. I don't know if I, or this place, can take much more.

Oy, I had a thought, Jay. Once they're finished "saving" this world, then we have to take them home.

Nighfala said...

(groans, wrenches hair, bangs head on laptop)

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Ginger's Guardian Angel said...

(to Gabriel) Aidan might be coming WHERE? Jesus!
.
.
oops

Ginger said...

Hmmm... I wonder if the Methodists would take Kaelin if I cleaned him up a bit?

Okay, Marc and Jason, you can stop laughing now. Really.

You can.

Jason said...

Good one, Ginger.

Marenya said...

(stirs in his arms)

Aidan?

(props up on one elbow and looks at him stretched out on the bed)

You were right. About the magic. About pushing me. Okay?

(combs her fingers through the long strands of her hair) Raynor got me by the hair too easily. It hurt being whipped down like that.

Do you think we should cut it?

Aidan said...

(grimaces and runs his hand through it, pushes it over her bare shoulder)

Kaelin cut his.

I, uh...(clears throat and looks away) Whatever you think is best. I can cut mine, too.

Marenya said...

(very gently) Kaelin cut his? Because he's fighting in the cage, right? (swallows)

(takes his scarred hand in hers)
Is that what you saw yesterday?

Aidan said...

(bites his lip and looks away, blinking rapidly)

I, uh. Yeah.

Aidan said...

(starts to climb out of bed)

Marenya said...

(sits up, her long, golden brown hair falling like a curtain around her)

please don't shut me out, love

Aidan said...

(bursts out) Fucking Mel lecturing me today on how you've been through so much, as if I don't know!

Gods below, Marenya, I see your pain every time I look at you. There's no reason you have to see mine on me.

(slams his fist into his thigh) I brought a fucking war here! You don't need any more hurt or ugliness. (voice breaks)

Please don't make me tell you. Please.

Marenya said...

Then don't. You don't have to. I won't make you do anything you don't want to do.

Just come back and hold me.

Aidan said...

(closes his eyes and takes a breath. he can feel her hurt that he won't share with her...)

(he takes her face in his hands and puts his forehead to hers. He lets his ken flow out, finds Kaelin in that moment.

Kaelin is stalking his fighting cage like an animal, teeth bared, knife bloody. Behind him, a man lays writhing and bleeding. The crowd is roaring, and she sees them in Aidan's sight, shadows of their true forms wavering among the crowd, black eyed demons--)

(he feels her horror and releases the vision, runs his hands down to her shoulders, through her hair...)

Please don't cut your hair. I really like it the way it is.

Marenya said...

(stares, wide-eyed, then pulls him into an embrace, wrapping herself around him as if she could somehow get under his skin and live there)

(kisses him deeply, arousing him, then shifting it magically, drawing out some of the terror that paralyzes him. He still knows what is happening to Kaelin, but it doesn't hurt quite as bad)

Marenya said...

(gets up and vomits in the wash bowl. Then throws a robe around herself)

You're going to teach me to fight, and we're going to win and we're going to get him back. Right, love?

Aidan said...

(nods from the bed, decides to let it all go)

You already know how to fight, by the way.

Aidan said...

(gets up and starts to hunt for clothes, pokes around the cold food on the table and wrinkles his nose)

Marenya said...

I do?

Aidan said...

You kicked Raynor's ass twice in two days, if you didn't notice.

You have all the...
(lets his gaze slide down her with a slow smile)

weapons. You just have to work on your timing.

(shrugs) I can train you on the bow, but what good is that against your magic? It's practically the same as your darts. And swords, well, Fald...somebody else would have to teach you that. That's way too old school for me.

Aidan said...

What I want to do is find a way to get my blood on your darts. I know they're all magical and cute and everything, but I don't want to test their killing power in the field.

Wonder if the king has an idea on that?

Marenya said...

(a broad smile dawns across her face, until the mention of Faldur)

I forgot about him.

(paces back and forth)

(closes her eyes, quick breath, lifts her chin)

Right. Old school. That's me.

(hands him her knife)

Just cut it off at the shoulder, okay?

Marenya said...

like yours

Marenya said...

magical and cute???

Aidan said...

(green eyes gleaming) your darts are adorable. like you.

Faldur said...

We passed a hole like the one we found where Aidan killed the demon. We were much more careful this time, I can tell you.

It was expecting us.(passes a hand over his face)

The only thing that saved us was that the gryphons were on alert. A hundred of them converged on it. I've never seen anything like it. Not even in the War.

(looks at Mel and Elmoran)

It was inside the border. They are here.

Jason said...

(sitting in on the meeting quietly, clears his throat)

It's time to plan. We need Aidan. (his voice is steady, but he avoids Faldur's gaze)

Aidan said...

(lifts her mass of hair to his face and kisses it, lets it fall and starts to cut)

For what it's worth, I think you'll kick ass out there.

And we'll be in some battle camp sleeping around a fire with everybody else and I won't get to do a damned thing about how sexy you are when you're killing things.

Marenya said...

ADORABLE???

(spins on him and a dart pierces the air by his neck)

Aidan said...

(laughs and backs around the bed, holding his hands out) I take it back, I take it back!

Jason said...

(sighs heavily before knocking) I hate to interrupt them.

Marc said...

Sounds a right party in there. Doesn't he know there's a war on?

Pelwyn said...

Aden Fath, Marc, Jason. (sweet smile)

I'll handle this. (flings the door open) Aidan! Aren't you looking fine? I was so sorry to miss your exhibition this morning, I thought I'd just pop round and see for myself.

And, you're wanted downstairs.

(smirks at Marc and Jason)
That should do it.

Faldur said...

(sees Marenya coming down the main stairs. her hair is bound into a short, stubby ponytail at the nape of her neck. she is wearing the plain, brown workdress she used all the time at home, only she has shortened the skirt by a foot to free her stride, and is wearing a leather weskit over it and soft-soled boots like the Rangers. Her expression is intense. determined. radiant.)

Marenya.

Marenya said...

(she whips her head around to look at him)

he looks so tired. he looks...

Aidan said...

I like that girl Pelwyn.

Marc said...

(tosses him clothes and taps his foot) That's her highness to you, and she's a hawin. Got that lecture yesterday from Marenya.

Gods below, aren't you ready yet? They're waiting.

Faldur said...

(measures the tone of his voice carefully)

Are you well?

Marenya said...

(chest heaves)
Yes, I am well. You look tired.

Faldur said...

Mel wants me to continue our lessons. Not everything dies with a lucky stab in the back.

Aidan said...

I'm coming, I'm coming! (trotting along behind Marc and pulling a shirt on)

(slows when he sees Faldur with Marenya)

(low) Hang on.

Marenya said...

(knowing he is referring to more than the lion she killed)

I never meant to hurt you.

Marc said...

You have to face him sometime, mate.

Aidan said...

feeling Faldur's weight and exhaustion and sorrow, winces at remembering some of the things he said)

I don't think he wants to see me. Not yet.

(turns to go a different way)

Faldur said...

(drops his gaze, mouth twisted in pain. composes himself)

Nor I you.


Why is it that I never made you look so... strong. Sure.

I could have, but I didn't.

I blame myself.

Marenya said...

No, no it wasn't you. It wasn't either of us. It just...wasn't.

(walks forward, touches his arm, searching his face)

I'm sorry it happened this way.

Faldur said...

(His face crumples. He reaches out and she walks into his arms and buries her head on his shoulder, nuzzling her head back and forth as if to somehow ease both of them that way)

(He buries his face in her hair and cries silently, tearlessly, so that she cannot see him)

Faldur said...

(after a long moment, pushes her away from him) Friends always, eh?

Marenya said...

Friends always.

Faldur said...

You always did want to be a Ranger. You'll have to take up the pipe, then. Only the good ones smoke, you know.

Marenya said...

(wrinkles her nose) I won't be a very good one, then.

Aidan said...

(pauses before the council chamber, ducks his head and draws a breath, feeling Faldur's pain rip at him, and at Marenya)

(mutters) Fuck. Fuck.

(swallows and lifts his head, and pushes the door open)

Good afternoon, Your Majesty, Your Highness.

Faldur said...

Yes, you will. Aidan will make sure of it. As will I.

(squeezes her shoulder, and watches her go)

Faldur said...

(Sees Aidan enter the chamber and follows him inside. He carefully avoids meeting Aidan's eyes, but studies him when he is not looking.)

Aidan said...

So. (scans the royals and the warriors inside) You found more, didn't you.

Marenya said...

stop showing off. let them tell it

Aidan said...

(glances at Marenya with a nod and leans back. His usually smiling mouth is tight, his brows drawn. He can feel the enemy more acutely than he has all day.)

Captain of the Warfirien said...

We found another gate, Aidan. The demon was waiting for us. It knew we were coming. Only the gryphons saved us. A hundred of them converged on it, tore it to pieces.

I have never seen anything like it. It took out nearly half of them before it died. We barely escaped with our lives.

Faldur said...

(softly) It was inside the border. Only twenty miles from here.

Aidan said...

(looks down at the scar on his palm and nods. reality pushes the air from his chest)

Elmoran said...

Aidan, what do you suggest we do?

Aidan said...

Yeah...I.

I was afraid of that.

(lifts his head)

I'll start trying to feel them out right away. I've been distrac... (cuts the word off)

We can't wait long. I can feel them digging. A day at most before we should start hunting. My cousins and I could leave as soon as tonight, actually... (glances at Marenya)

At least to scout things. I'll feel it better, away from here and all this stone.

Melbrinor said...

Would you rather we come with you, or wait for a report?

Jason said...

A small party will be more nimble. But we need guides; we don't know our way around.

Aidan said...

Marenya, at least, and a ranger or two. And maybe one of the princes to help suss them out. It's a chance for me to teach them what they feel like. Mel has it, I think, but Raynor (slight smile) could probably use a lesson or two.

Melbrinor said...

(nods) Very well, I will stay here and drill the warfirien. Faldur can go with you, and-?

Faldur said...

I'll bring Romer. He is my best tracker, and is good with a bow.

(to Marc and Jason) We hunt in teams, one blade, one bow. Short work, long work.

I prefer a blade myself. (very slight smile) But you already know that.

Marenya said...

I'm to go?

Aidan said...

(clears throat) Faldur is an excellent choice, Your Majesty. As for the others, you know your people better than I do.

(meets the king's eyes)

I will see this through, I swear it.

Marenya said...

(looks to the King, then to Mel) Is there any way we can get Aidan's blood on my darts?

Raynor said...

(with ken to Faldur) I can think of several.

Aidan said...

Ha ha, very funny, Raynor.

«Oldest ‹Older   801 – 998 of 998   Newer› Newest»